Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Like Rouen but I Hate Birds

The birds in Rouen are really annoying. Tonight (Sunday), they were making the shrillest noise imaginable near the cathedral. Last night, one crapped on my head. Go ahead, laugh. It's funny, especially since it happened to me and not you. It wasn't all that bad though, it was easy to clean and we were on our way back home when it happened. Stupid bird.

So, as this is a weekend and Rouen is infinitely more exciting and fun than Le Havre, I began my journey after signing some paperwork on Friday. I took a full train away from Le Havre (I'm clearly not the only person who wants out) and arrived in Rouen around 8. Lisa and I went out with Ben and Razim to a gay bar. Drinks were expensive but we got a "stick fluo" and were being filmed for something we didn't know much about. We also got some fries on the way home, which wrapped up a fun night.

Saturday was spent mostly around the house. We did some shopping in Rouen; Lisa got a necklace and I picked up a couple of black sweaters and a long sleeve polo. I think I've got the European look down. You be the judge!

Polo:



Button down and V-neck sweater:



Other sweater:




Having a sugar momma is a definite bonus. I get nice clothes and she gets a pretty boy toy on her arm. It's a win-win!

The sweaters have already been great. It's pretty cool here in Normandy and it's nice to have layers. I will also be able to wear both to school, with t-shirts or button downs.

Saturday night we went to a dinner party at the house of one of the teachers at Lisa's school. I was invited along, and we had quite a mix of nationalities: two Americans, two Norwegians, and four French. We snacked and drank until dinner at 9:30, then had a fabulous dinner. Asparagus and chives frittata, pork filet mignon, mashed potatoes and pumpkins, then cheese (three kinds) and bread, and finally pear and chocolate tart and apple tart. And some cognac to top it all off. I think we finally rolled out of the house at 1 or 1:30 in the morning. We discussed sheeps and deers and mooses on the way home. A good night, if a bit straining on my French abilities. I didn't talk much but I was often able to pick up on the topic of discussion, with some help from Lisa or her teacher Michele as needed. Lots of fun; I'm hoping to have a repeat in the spring when I can understand and contribute more.

Sunday was slightly more productive, cheaper, and just as fun. Lisa and I went to the market to pick up some fresh vegetables, and ended up with some clementines as well. We then partook in that oh-so-European pastime of sitting in the sun on a street cafe, drinking coffee and watching the world go by. Life is pretty good here in Rouen. Around 4, one of Lisa's assistant friends met up with us to go for a walk. We stopped into one of the myriad of churches, only to find it contained an exposition on old restored machines. There were steam engines, printing presses, bandsaws, and dynamos. Very cool stuff. We then walked around the cathedral (different from the church), where we saw some girl scream back at the shrill birds, to the amusement and delight of the nearby passersby. We goofed around taking pictures of each other at the cathedral, as you can see below.





I'm sure there will be a lot more similar adventures in the future.

There was some building getting rebuilt and the half-timbering was visible. Cool.



Lisa and I made some delicious Mexican stuff out of a failed enchilada kit. Just the right amount of spice and yum. We then headed off to the fair, which runs for an entire month. It's situated right along the Rive Gauche (south side of the Seine) and the rides offer incredible views of Rouen. We went on the ferris wheel, then wandered through the fairway and had some gooey candy stuff and fried balls of incredible yumminess. I think all fairs share the same overpriced food, rides, and tacky-as-hell decorations. All part of the charm. Here I am on the ferris wheel; you can see the cathedral in the background:



That's about it for this weekend. I've definitely gotten more settled in, dealt with quite a bit on my own, and am ready to kick the fun up a notch (once I get paid). Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment